Tuesday, April 5, 2011

chop chop your way to weight loss!

Sigh! This is so hard - trying to lose weight post baby is the hardest thing I've ever had to do...well, apart from having the baby! The fatigue is unbelievable, specially since I've chosen to have a super long commute to my dream job (yeah yeah, it is still my dream job!)

I remember when I was in 10th grade and everyone else was so svelt and cool....I was the fat kid. Very round...very very!! I started my first aerobics class and loved it so much that 3 months down the line I was super hot.

Then there was the year before I got married. Atul was to come and see me soon and I knew how much he loved working out....so I jogged. religiously. every morning. And ran up and down the stairs. I also came back home from work and worked out while watching tv -- all this was wonderful then and I was so confident I'll be able to do this any number of times in my life.

The post marriage weight was lost when I re-discovered jogging and unleashed the forces of portion control. But now...now, I'm 30. Yes, an ugly truth is dawning upon me. Things aren't going to be easy this time around. I have surrouded myself with work, I have a terribly long commute and then there's Aarav. Everything makes me realise that I have to really watch what I eat - like most of you out there....my days are spent researching what I am putting into myself. Thankfully I have realised that I don't need to add to this misery by eating things that I will not (probably) be able to burn off. But every bite seems to turn me into an imaginary balloon. And so, as I start my workout routine again tomorrow morning, I turned tonight's meal into something enjoyable, yet...HEALTHY!
A note here on how much I love potatoes. I know I can't have them as much as I would love to, but here's what I did to turn my potato into an active protein.
I love bengali cooking and my fav would be the chops. Fish chops and veggie chops alike!! Chops, the bong way, are basically a fried variety of patties. You add the boiled potatoes to fish or veggies and then you fry! I soooo wanted some chops tonight, but I also sooo wanted to eat healthy. So I used only one fried potato and the rest of my batter was soy :)

Patel cash & carry, carries my favorite soy nuggets for a tiny bit of cash. So I boil them, add in the ONE boiled potato - come on, I had to fool my mind, right? add in some ginger, garlic, green chillies and coriander and toss in a whole packet of maggi seasoning (I AM CRAZY about this flavor packet btw!)

Once my mix is ready, I coat the little patties in sooji (wayyyy healthier than bread crumbs)...note: very very little sooji and shallow fry them in 1/10th of the oil I would have used to deep fry. Crisp, yummy, and happy looking veggie chops are now awaiting me in my plate. Alongside a big bowl of daal....with a small 1/4 cup serving of white rice. And that's the way we'll roll.

Target for 16th April: 6 lbs loss. Days to go: 12, on the stake: unwanted fat and the loss of an hour of sleep every morning.

Let's hope I write back with healthier recipes, from a lighter body!!

No comments:

Post a Comment